Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sony, Playstation Store needs to change… again


When hurricane Sandy blew through the Tri-State region, it took away a lot of homes, cars, boats, and in my case, electricity for a week. As a result, during the day, I would go out to get water, food, and hit up a friend for a shower. This lack of power required me to walk 40 blocks to a part of the city that possessed power to charge phones, laptops, and my Vita. After about 2 days without power, I wanted an Assassin’s Creed fix, and as the PS3 was out of the question, my only other option was the AC3 Liberations for Vita. I spent the better part of a Tuesday in a coffee shop, Vita tethered to my phone, waiting for the PSN to update. It was incredibly frustrating.
Sandy Smash!
This is a very fortunate problem to have, especially after a hurricane, but at night, when the natural light has gone, and holding a torch in one hand and a book in the other becomes a delicate balancing issue, it’s time to preoccupy your nights with something else. The only games for Vita I had were Uncharted and Motorstorm, both of which were beat. On Tuesday, I went to the coffee shop to charge a bunch of electronics and expected Liberations to be downloaded by the time all my items were charged. I started the hotspot, hooked my Vita up to it and loaded the Playstation Store. I was expecting to see Liberations under the ‘New Releases’ tab but was sorely disappointed.
I live in a first world country, so yes, first world problem.
Sony had not updated the store, and this caused me to wait the better part of a day, buying items that I usually don’t care for just to have an excuse to stay there. The flip side of this was seeing some of the more interesting characters that came to the store. There was the hipster douche that said, very loudly to the two girls he walked in with, that he doesn’t drink coffee, he likes to detoxify his system (whatever the hell that means). There was some other guy furiously typing his screenplay while he mostly looked around to make sure women were watching him. There was the cute waitress who kept coming up to me every twenty minutes or so to see how I was doing and ask about my storm experience. She was great, and we have hung out after my exiled week at the store, but she insists on wearing glasses that clash with her afro and would only suit Clark Kent. I got writing material that week, so I wouldn’t take it back for anything, but I really wanted to play Liberations.
This place smells weird, but it might be me.
Eventually, at about 3pm, the store finally updated, and the hour long download began. This would not have been as frustrating an experience if the store had updated midnight on the dot so that people can start their downloads as soon as they wake up, or even automatically. I don’t know how things work on X-Box Live or whatever Nintendo has, but I would have thought it common sense to update your store at midnight the day you update. I know there are things that have to be done to make sure the store updates properly and the items available are at the right prices, but surely it can be set up so that all T’s are crossed and I’s dotted before 12:01am Tuesday. If updates are rolled out on a schedule, as opposed to the haphazard release it goes through now, then there would be no need to wait half a day to get a game that I could easily get from a brick and mortar store with ease.
Where have you been? I've been waiting all day.
I like my Vita a lot. Since Liberations, I’ve played All Stars and Gravity Rush, but the Playstation Store is still unpredictable. It should be instant, smooth, and updated with ease. My understanding is that in Australia, and possibly Europe, when you pre-order a game off the store, by the time you wake up on Tuesday, the game is on your system. That’s how it should be in the USA too. I don’t know why this is lagging here as opposed to other regions of the world, but I would assume it is a fairly easy fix. Look, I don’t have knowledge of how this is done, and I’m not offering any fixes, but I can voice my frustration at how the service is currently run. Playstation Store has some great games, and as a PS+ member, I’ve been getting games for free, but it would be nice to wake up in the morning to look at the store and see what’s new, that’s all I’m saying. 
Caaaake!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I wish they could give us a time or heck even a estimate on what time they think the store might be updated. I understand it may not be easy for them, but maybe they could say the store will update earlier or later than last week or some sort of eta. That's just my thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete